Looking for how to wax at home? You are in the right place. Waxing is a good hair removal method that can be done at home but it is important to do it safely. Below are some tips you may use at home to wax eyebrows, legs, bikini area, underarms or armpits, legs, bum and interpret them on other parts of the body. After waxing care, remedies and treatment are also discussed in detail in order to avoid any bad after waxing effects in the skin.
What is waxing? Waxing is a semi-permanent way of removing hair from their roots. It is considered to be semi-permanent since the hair will take time to grow back compared to shaving. Normally, after waxing, hair may take four to seven weeks before growing back again but this also depends on an individual’s genes. Some people naturally have hair that will grow super-fast but still waxing is the best in such cases.
- Advantages of Learning How to Wax at Home
- How to Make Wax at Home
- How to Wax at Home
- Steps to Wax at Home
- Taking Care of Your Skin after Waxing at Home
- Rash after Waxing at Home
- How to Prevent a Rash after Waxing
- What Not To Do After Waxing
- How to Treat Your Skin after Waxing
Advantages of Learning How to Wax at Home
When compared to the different types of wax that are in the market, homemade wax comes with a set of benefits that include:
- Given the fact that this wax is made from home ingredients, it provides your skin with a soft and natural glow
- When you use homemade wax, it is very unlikely that you will develop infections or skin reactions that may result in rashes
- Homemade wax not only removes hair from your body parts, but it also plays an important role in moisturizing the skin
- The wax lessens hair production, and the next time you have to wax, you will realize that you have very few hairs to eliminate from the skin
- Homemade wax exfoliates your skin and opens up the skin pores, which allow the dirt present in your skin to get out.
How to Make Wax at Home
There are times when you find that you do not have the time or the energy to visit a beauty salon for waxing purposes. When this happens to you, it will be best to look at how to wax at home, rather than opt to shave. Not sure how to make a wax at home, you can do the following:
Here is what you will need
- Two tablespoons of fresh lemon juice
- One cup of raw sugar e.g. turbinado
- Two tablespoons of water
- Arrowroot powder or non-GMO cornstarch
- A medium-sized cooking pot
- One stainless steel bowl
- Several cloths strip
How to wax at home – What to do
- Take your cooking pot and heat the sugar. Ensure you keep stirring the sugar until it begins to melt. You should let the sugar caramelize
- Take your lemon juice and add it to the sugar. You can also mix in a few honey drops. Continue stirring until the mixture becomes very hot
- Look at the mixture to determine its thickness. If the homemade is too thick, add some water to it. As you stir, it is important to make sure that your wax is of good
- Once it has become ready meaning completely mixed, take it off from the stove and make sure to keep it at room temperature for about fifty minutes for it to cool down
- When it cools down, take an airtight container and proceed to refrigerate the wax
How to Wax at Home
Waxing has been known to make women feel more beautiful, attractive, sensual, and sexy. In case you are embarrassed by exposing yourself to a beautician, or you choose to wax at home for another unrelated reason, you need to know that it can be a bit painful, and it will require patience.
After all, when waxing you are dealing with some of the most sensitive body parts. When you are learning how to wax at home, you should consider the following important tips.
- You should not wax the private areas when you have your periods. Doing so will be a lot more painful
- For people who are sensitive to pain, they should make sure that they take a painkiller before starting the process. Very many women do take painkillers before you wax at home.
Steps to Wax at Home
- You need to make sure that you do not shave for at least two weeks before waxing your body. Two days before the intended shaving day, make sure to gently exfoliate the skin to help remove all the dead skin cells, and to ensure that you will not get any bumps on your skin.
- Prepare the cotton strips gathered earlier. The cotton strips should be small, and if they are not, you may need to trim them a little. Waxing smaller areas of your body will guarantee less pain
- Ensure you take a warm shower, and make certain that you clean and wash all the areas you intend to wax. The areas should be cleaned using a very mild soap. After taking your shower, do not apply any creams, oils, or lotions to the skin.
- If the hair present in the areas you want to wax is too long, you will need to use a pair of scissors to trim it back. Ensure you trim it back about a quarter of an inch long.
- Take some baby powder and gently apply it to the area you would like to wax. The baby powder will absorb any moisture and oil that could be present, and will thus allow your wax to stick well to available
- Gently heat your wax in order to warm it
- If you would like to wax the pubic region, take a mirror and place it between the legs. This is meant to allow you to see the entire area that is to be waxed.
- Take a wooden stick and dip it into your wax. Take a small amount using the wooden stick and gently apply it to the area you want to wax. Ensure that the wax is applied based on the direction of the hair growth.
- You should always begin with the areas that are most accessible before heading towards the harder to reach areas.
- Remember that the more wax you apply, the more pain you will experience
- Once applied, take your cloth strip and immediately press it into the area that you have waxed. Smooth it down remembering to follow the direction of hair growth.
- Give it a few minutes to allow the wax to cool down, and then using one hand gently stretch the skin taut.
- Use your other hand to pick up the edge of your cloth strip and rip it off towards the other direction.
- Doing this in a fluid and rapid motion will be important. Even though it may hurt a little bit, the pain is not too much.
- Repeat all these steps until you are sure that you have removed all the hair, or after you have achieved the results you desired.
- If during this process the pubic area or the area being waxed becomes painful or red in color, leave it for a few minutes to calm down before continuing with the waxing process.
Taking Care of Your Skin after Waxing at Home
The care that you give to your skin and how you treat it matters a lot in order to avoid ingrown hair. In case you have ingrown hair issues see more here How to remove ingrown hair.
View this post on Instagram
I think by now even the birds in the trees know what brand I use for my skincare. (@lubexantiage) As most of you probably know (I keep preaching that ????), I have used anti aging products for some years now, and I am pretty happy of my youthful looking skin. However, in my almost 27 years of life, this year I just started noticing two wrinkles that are pretty visible (if you look closely) on my forehead. That is why, I recently incorporated a new product for my daily skin care routine. I knew I needed something more. Right after the tonic and right before my daily classic treatment, I started using the Hyaluron 4 types intensive booster. One of the best things about this product is that It works for every skin type. I noticed my skin being fully hydrated and hydration is so important now in the autumn and winter months. The Lubex Antiage Hyaluron 4 types gives the skin the resiliency and volume back after a long draining day. It`s a pure recommendation! #lubexantiage / advertisment
Once you are done waxing, you should do the following:
- Apply a moisturizer to the area that you have waxed
- Wet the skin using a damp cloth to ensure that it will still be nourished, and to prevent it from drying immediately
- It is important to make sure that you do not expose yourself to the sun too much after the waxing procedure. In case you have to do it, ensure you use sunscreen to protect your body
- Make sure that you do not take hot showers immediately after waxing as this could strip you of all the essential oils
- Before you sleep, you will need to apply a nourishing lotion on the area that has been waxed to guarantee that your skin will remain moisturized at all times.
- If the waxed area turns red or becomes itchy, apply a generous amount of talcum powder to it. This will help reduce the itchiness
- You could also try using an ice cube in the waxed area to get rid of the redness
Rash after Waxing at Home
Waxing at home helps in removing all the unwanted hair, ensuring that your skin remains soft and beautiful.
However, beauty often comes at a price. It is common for bumps and red rashes to appear after you have waxed at home. The bumps could last for a few hours, or as much as three days, especially for people that have very sensitive skin.
The bumps or rashes that come after waxing are a result of inflamed hair follicles also known as folliculitis. They are not only unsightly, but they can also cause a lot of discomfort in the affected area.
The following tips will help in treating any irritation and discomfort that may appear after waxing and help ensure that it does not happen the next time you wax.
1. Cool Ice or Water
It helps in soothing the discomfort or redness present on your skin.
How to use it
- Take a soft washcloth and wet using cold water, or wrap an ice cube in your washcloth
- Apply the cloth to the area to the rash to help close all the pores that are open
- Leave the washcloth in the affected area for as long as you can tolerate it, but make sure not to exceed ten to fifteen minutes
- When using cold water in place of ice, you will need to re-wet the washcloth after every few minutes to ensure that it remains cool.
2. Aloe Vera Gel
The Aloe Vera Gel not only helps in soothing skin irritation and redness, but it is also very important in making sure that the area remains hydrated.
- Apply a generous layer of Aloe Vera gel to the skin a few times each day
- Keep the gel in the refrigerator to ensure that it remains cold
- A cold gel helps in easing irritation and any follicle swelling that may have arisen
3. Tea Tree Oil or Vitamin E
They are both excellent for soothing any rash or irritation that comes around after waxing. They also play an important role in helping your skin heal
- Take a generous amount of either tea tree oil or vitamin E and apply it to the skin
- Make sure to do this a few times each day
- When using vitamin E, all you need to do is just to open the capsule and proceed to apply to the affected area
4. Grape Seed Oil
Grapeseed oil soothes the skin and helps in easing any pain that could be present. It also helps in hydrating your skin and thus helps all the new scars heal
How to Use
- Scoop a small amount of the oil and smear it on your hands
- Massage the oil into the affected skin area using your hands
- You will not need to use a cotton ball when applying the grapeseed oil
5. Topical Ointments
Even though the home remedies discussed above will help in easing irritation and in eliminating a rash after waxing at home, topical ointments have been known to help speed up the healing process.
Given that the irritated skin area is exposed and vulnerable, it is recommended to use an antibacterial ointment to help protect against bacterial infections.
- Begin by washing your hands
- Apply a thin layer of the topical ointment to your skin
- Ensure you do not massage it
- Repeat it three times a day for the first three days after the bumps have appeared on your skin
How to Prevent a Rash after Waxing
The only way to avoid irritation or a rash forming after waxing is to take precautionary measures before waxing. Yes, it is good to know how to wax at home but you should also learn how to deal with any negative results especially for those with sensitive skin.
Therefore, before your next waxing at home session, make sure to follow these steps.
1. Examine Your Skin
You should never wax or shave a skin surface that is already irritated. If the surface appears inflamed, or some lumps have broken out, waxing will only lead to further irritation.
Irritating the skin further could lead to a serious skin infection or even scarring.
2. Exfoliate the Skin
Before waxing, you need to mildly exfoliate the skin surface to help remove the dead skin, dirt, and oils that present.
Your skin is more vulnerable to infection when hair is removed, and any oil or dirt present on the surface can lead to irritation.
Take a soft washcloth and a mild shower gel and use it to exfoliate the skin surface.
3. Soften the Skin Surface
If you decide not to exfoliate, you can take a warm shower before waxing. Make sure that the water is not too hot.
Warm water helps in opening up the skin pores, softening your skin surface, and enabling the hair to come out much easier as it makes it more pliable.
4. Properly Wax Your Skin
You need to ensure that you do not wax over a particular area more than once. Ensure you do not tug your skin too much as you are pulling out the hair.
Use a wax ideal for sensitive skin, such a homemade wax that contains natural ingredients, and is therefore not harmful.
5. Protect the Skin
It is always significant to verify that the area is clean and dry after you have waxed. Once this is confirmed, apply a layer of baby powder, coconut oil, or any other soothing product that you can find.
What Not To Do After Waxing
- If your skin is not red or inflamed the day after you have waxed, you will need to gently exfoliate it in order to remove ingrown hairs as well as prevent the occurrence of pimples. Do not exfoliate within the first twenty-four hours after you have waxed
- Ensure you keep your hands away from the areas that have been waxed to ensure that you prevent bacteria driven pimples
- Stay away from public water areas such as pools, spas, saunas, and hot tubs when the skin is still healing to prevent an infection
- Instead of bathing, take showers for the next few days
- Do not over-exercise as this could cause perspiration
- If you have waxed the bikini area, make sure not to wear any tight clothing
- If pimples occur, do not squeeze them. Squeezing the pimples present will lead to the formation of new pimples. You should instead apply a simple pimple medication
- Ensure you do not wax when your menses are close as the skin is more vascular during this period
- Don’t take stimulants such as caffeinated drinks and alcohol a few hours before getting waxed. Taking the stimulants will make your skin more sensitive.
How to Treat Your Skin after Waxing
After learning how to wax at home and executing it, you may need to treat the skin. You can do so in the following ways:
Use a Moisturizer to Keep it Moist and Soft
You will need to start using a moisturizer on a daily basis. The moisturizer not only helps keep your skin soft and supple, but it also softens the hairs that are growing thereby helping ensure that they do not bore into the skin.
Take Some Pain Medication
As much as waxing is effective in removing all hairs from the body, it can also be very painful. For individuals with susceptible skin, it is recommended that you take some painkillers before and after waxing.
The steps above will help make certain that your next waxing at home session goes without any problems. Ensure that you follow all the steps, and take the necessary precautions to make sure that your skin will not get inflamed or develop bumps right after you have waxed it.