Whitening underarm and getting rid of dark armpits are issues many would like to solve. Generally, discoloration of the underarms is not a serious medical condition, but some factors can cause it such as hormonal disorders, obesity, and continuous use of insulin. It is also important to learn how to shave your armpits to keep away dark armpits dues to sweating. Below are steps on for underarm whitening at home, fast, overnight, with simple home remedies for both males and females.
Whitening Underarm is a great way for you to regain your lost confidence after having had dark underarms. Dark underarms can lead to a serious loss of self-esteem, which may lead to you stashing away your sleeveless tops and vests since you are afraid of showing off your armpits due to their dark color.
However, worry not; as under the arm, whitening will not only help you regain your lost self-confidence, but it will also enable you to flaunt that lovely body during the summer season. Read below for more on how to do this at home.
Causes of Dark Armpits
The underarm discoloration is a problem that most people find to be very embarrassing. The problem does not have a specific target as it affects both men and women. According to Mayo Clinic, women of Hispanic and African descent are more affected by this problem than any demographic.
Underarm discoloration has very many causes, and its treatment will often depend on the causative agent.
1. Acanthosis Nigricans
Discoloration of your underarms can be caused by a problem known as Acanthosis Nigricans. According to studies published by the Cleveland Clinic, this condition can affect all people, though it is prevalent in people who have insulin disorders.
Diabetes and insulin resistance often cause the condition, and it can affect any part of the body that has folds such as the underarms.
The areas that have often been affected feel velvety and turn brown or dark gray in color.
Shaving your armpits can give them a dark and discolored appearance. When you are shaving, the razor cuts the hair at the skin surface.
If you happen to have hair darker than the color of your skin, the stubble will appear as dark skin. Therefore, instead of shaving using a straight razor, you should consider tweezing or waxing the hairs.
The two procedures remove the hair beneath the skin surface and reduce their visibility.
3. Bacterial Infections
Erythrasma is a bacterial infection known for causing dark underarms. Once infected, it starts appearing as pink patches.
With time, the pink spots start turning into brown scales. According to the National Institutes of Health, The infection is mainly common in people suffering from diabetes mellitus.
It mainly affects the people found in warm climates.
4. Deodorants and Antiperspirants
The ingredients contained in your deodorant could react with your skin or individual body chemistry causing discoloration.
If you notice discoloration after using a new deodorant, it is recommended that you stop using it for a while to check whether the discoloration will stop.
5. The buildup of Dead Skin Cells
According to dermatologists, the dark spots that appear under your underarms are a result of dead skin cells trapped under your skin.
To remove them, you can exfoliate using products that contain lactic acid.
6. Hyper Pigmentation
Hyperpigmentation is a condition that causes your skin to produce melanin pigment in excess amounts.
You can use a skin bleaching cream to get rid of all the excess melanin present under your armpit folds.
Home Remedies for Whitening Underarm Naturally
Summer is the only time in the year you get to relax, unwind, and have fun with your friends by the pool or at the beach. However, dark underarms can derail your plans even in the cold season as no one wants to wear sleeveless tops and vests when they have dark underarms.
The following remedies can help in the whitening underarm.
1. Use Lemons to Naturally Bleach Dark Underarms
Whenever you want to remove anything dark from your skin, lemon is the first thing that should come to mind. It is the best home bleaching agent.
A lemon is not only a natural cleanser, but it also contains antiseptic and antibacterial properties. The acidic properties play an active role in the whitening underarm and in exfoliating dead skin cells as well.
- Take a thick slice of lemon and rub it in your underarms every day before going to take a shower.
- Apply a moisturizer after completing your bath as lemon often makes the skin dry
- Add a pinch of honey to the lemon juice. It should provide you with something that looks like a paste.
- Apply it to your underarms and leave it in the underarm folds for close to ten minutes before rinsing it off with water.
Why forget potatoes when you can use them in underarm whitening? Potatoes are great bleaching agents for people who have sensitive skin, which can easily be irritated by the lemon juices.
Potatoes contain mild acidic properties and are therefore not capable of irritating your skin.
- Take a potato slice and use it to rub your underarm folds for five to ten minutes and then wash it with
- Alternatively, you can grate a potato, and then squeeze out the juice from the grated potato.
- Ensure you apply the juice to your underarms using a cotton ball. Leave it there for ten minutes before you wash it.
- For faster results, you should make sure to use potatoes at least twice each day, and you will be sure to see some results within a week’s time.
3. Use Cucumbers as Well
Those cucumbers lying in your refrigerator contain skin-lightening properties. What is even better is that if you would like to get the benefits of underarm whitening using lemons, you can do so by combining cucumber with lemon juice.
As lemon works to bleach the underarm folds, the cucumber will soothe your skin to prevent irritation and itching.
- Mix cucumber juice with lemon juice and add a pinch of turmeric to the mix.
- Also, you can simply cut cucumber slices and rub your underarms using the slices
- Alternatively, you can apply the pure cucumber juice to your underarm folds. When done daily, they can also help in underarm whitening.
4. Exfoliate Your Underarms Using Natural Scrubs
Sometimes, the discoloration of your underarms is caused by the accumulation of dead skin cells which make you appear underarm fold look dark.
Therefore, you will need to exfoliate the skin under your arms gently. Exercise caution when exfoliating, as excessive exfoliation can cause harming which would then lead to infection in the sweat glands, pores, and the hair follicles.
Make sure not to use harsh scrubs and things like brushes or pumice stones.
- Take some lemon juice and add granulated sugar into it
- Apply on your underarms and leave it, therefore, five to ten minutes
- Use two little-wet fingers to feel the sugar granules gently and rub them in your armpits.
- Wash it off after a few minutes have elapsed. The scrub is useful if you got the dark spots after shaving
Alternatively, you can:
- Take some peanuts or walnuts and grind them to make a fine powder.
- Take a tablespoon of juice, a tablespoon of honey, and the powder from your walnuts or peanuts.
- Mix the above ingredients to make a paste and apply it to your underarms
- Leave the paste for ten minutes before washing it with warm water
You can use either of the two scrubs in the whitening underarm.
5. Using Baking Powder
The White baking powder also plays a very important role in underarm whitening.
When used on a regular basis, you can completely avoid using antiperspirants and deodorants, which are another cause of dark underarms. Baking powder kills the germs present in your underarms and provides you with a clean, and odor-free underarm.
For this, you will need to:
- Take some water and baking powder, and mix the two.
- Take the paste and apply it to your armpits for whitening underarm
- Alternatively, you can take the baking soda and mix it with a little amount of water. Apply the solution to the underarms
6. Orange Peels
Orange peels are yet another natural scrub for armpit whitening. Orange, which belongs to the lemon family, contains bleaching properties that can be used for lightening dark underarms.
To prepare this scrub, you should follow these steps:
- Take the orange peel and dry it in shade
- Grind the peel to obtain its powder
- Take some milk and rose water
- Add the orange powder to the rose water and milk and mix them to get a thick paste
- Apply this paste to the underarm folds and scrub the entire area for at least ten minutes
- Wash off the paste using cold water
The orange peel scrub removes all the dead cells, whitens your underarm, and leaves the skin smelling sweet thanks to the effects of the orange and the rose water.
7. Saffron’s Fragrant Remedy
Though saffron is a bit expensive, it can provide you with priceless white underarms. You will even be able to save money by not purchasing deodorant, as saffron will kill the bacteria and germs that cause odors.
You will need to:
- Take a small amount of milk
- Take a few saffron strands and mix them using the milk
- Apply it to your armpits
- Leave it in place and wash it off in the morning
- Make Chickpea Flour Mask
This is a great mask for whitening underarms.
- Chickpea flour—two tablespoons
- Yogurt—one tablespoon
- Lemon juice—one tablespoon
- Turmeric—one generous pinch
- Take the chickpea flour, turmeric, lemon juice, and yogurt and mix them
- Vigorously mix them to get a smooth paste
- Apply the paste to your underarm folds
- Leave it in place for thirty minutes
- Wash it off with cold water
The chickpea flour mask is a great underarm whitening paste as it cleanses, moisturizes, and bleaches the underarm folds.
Use the remedy each day for at least two weeks and after that twice a week for faster results.
Prevention of Dark Underarms
Rather than wait to get dark discolored underarms, why not take measures to ensure that this will not happen to you.
If you do not want to get dark discolored underarms, or you have already gone through a whitening underarm procedure and do not want the process to recur, you can try the following:
1. Do Not Use Hair Removal Creams
Almost all hair removal creams contain harsh chemicals that are unfriendly to the skin surface.
Regular use leads to irritation; itching, rashes and can at times result in severe skin disorders. The best option for hair removal is waxing
2. Do not Do Electrolysis
If you are a woman who happens to have dark skin, you are at risk of hyperpigmentation when you do electrolysis.
Again, waxing will be the ideal solution for you.
3. Avoid Antiperspirants and Deodorants
If you are unable to stop using antiperspirants altogether, you should at least consider limiting their use.
The harsh chemicals found in these products can give you rough and dark underarms. They could also cause pigmentation, which may cause darker underarms.
4. Do Not Let Your Weight Get Out of Control
If you are obese, make plans to start exercising. The fat on your body can be accumulated under the armpits rubbing them against your clothes, which can lead to dark and discolored underarms.
5. Control Your Diabetes
If you have type2 diabetes, it will be important to make sure that you get your weight under control.
High insulin levels can lead to the overproduction of skin cells, which eventually cause pigmentation.
6. Skin Exfoliation
Skin exfoliation is a process that you should all get involved in as a strategy towards whitening the underarms. This can be done by using facial scrubs, a process that makes the texture of the armpits improve as well as the appearance.
Treatment for Dark Underarms
If home remedies have failed in getting rid of your dark underarms, it may mean that the condition is worse and may require the doctor’s help to overcome. In many cases, the disorder may translate to acanthosis nigricans, which is a medical condition related to the darkening of the skin.
In most cases, people suffering from obesity, diabetes, or women taking birth control pills are at risk of getting this disorder. Some people may inherit the disorder, and this may require the doctors to handle the situation.
The following are medical treatments provided to people whose homemade bleaching efforts have failed.
Dermatologists advise people to use creams that have been medically examined and found fit to treat the darkening aspect and also prevent the armpits from skin pigmentation.
Doctors may prescribe the creams to their patients, and some are sold over the counter. Whichever way, the creams are meant to enhance lightening of the skin under the arms
Bleaching is so much related to the use of creams because it requires one to use creams with certain ingredients meant to whiten the armpits.
The creams used in bleaching should contain steroids, hydroquinone, and retinol ingredients that are meant to ensure that the skin becomes whitened.
Alpha hydroxy acids in the creams facilitate the exfoliation process and melatonin, which another ingredient in the cream enhances the lightening of the hair follicles, among others.
Laser treatment is an effective treatment used on various boy disorders, most of those which are related to the skin. Lightening the underarms may also be done through laser treatment, a procedure that is very fast and effective.
Concentrated light beams are directed to the darkened armpits for the dark layer to be eliminated from the skin.
Although the procedure is very effective, it may have other side effects such as skin irritation, itching, and a feeling of burning sensation.
This is a process through which the surgeon injects nitrogen liquid on the darkened armpits. The process allows skin cells in the area to die, making it impossible for skin darkening to occur.
The advantage of having this form of treatment is that it leaves no scars on the affected area as opposed to the laser treatment.
Not many people opt for this kind of treatment because it is very expensive.
How to Shave Your Armpits
Shaving the armpits come with a set of challenges, given that this is an area that accumulates lots of sweat and moisture because it is unable to see the light of day.
The underarm folds also happen to have more sweat glands as compared to other areas such as the pubic area, leg, or face.
Follow these steps when shaving your underarms:
1. Obtain a razor
You should always use a safety razor as opposed to a straight razor
2. Prepare your skin
You will notice that it is easier to shave during a bath or when using the shower. The water helps in softening the skin, while the warmth ensures that you do not develop goosebumps, which can easily be cut when shaving.
3. Apply A Moisturizing Lubricant
Commercially produced shaving gels, foam, lotions, and creams will help soften your skin providing for a smooth shave.
Soap, shampoo, or conditioner can also be adequate substitutes if you do not have access to shaving gel.
- Cover the underarm folds with a generous amount of lubricant
- If need be, you can also apply gel or soap partway through the shaving process.
4. Place One Arm Over Your Head
When the skin in your armpits become taut, it becomes easier for you to get a smoother shave, and ensure that you will not injure yourself.
5. Start Shaving
Take the razor, hold it with your free hand, and begin shaving by following the direction of your hair growth.
For people with sensitive skin, shaving against the grain can lead to razor burns. However, if sensitivity is not an issue for you, you can shave in any direction you prefer.
- Ensure you do not press the razor too firmly against your skin as this could result in razor burns.
6. Rinse the Razor after Each Stroke
To get a smooth shave, it is recommended that you remove the foam and the hair strands that have been cut.
Make sure not to attempt to dislodge the hair or clean the razor using your fingers as you may end up cutting them.
7. Repeat on the Other Armpit
It may sometime before you get used to using your non-dominant hand for shaving purposes, but with time, it becomes easier to achieve this fete.
8. Complete the Shaving Process
Once done shaving both armpits, rinse them to remove any remaining loose hair or foam. At this point, your skin is likely to be quite sensitive so you should ensure that you use a gentle moisturizer on the underarm fold once you are done drying the area.
- If you apply deodorant immediately after shaving, there is a likelihood that it will sting you
- You should consider shaving at night to allow your skin some rest and heal before you can apply any commercial products
- If inflammation or irritation persists after a few days, ensure you consult with a dermatologist.
- Consider applying methylated spirit in the area. This will sting just a bit but it will help in keeping away any rash on armpit, bumps, pimples, or infections on the underarm.
What to note During Underarm Whitening
Darkening of underarms is not a condition that should worry you or reduce your confidence. People with such conditions may consider different ways of ensuring that they whiten their underarms.
It is important to understand the cause of skin darkening so as to come up with the right bleaching agents needed in enhancing skin lightening.
Skin bleaching can be done using homemade remedies as the products are readily available and safe to use. In cases where the cause of underarm darkening is associated with medical problems such as diabetes and obesity, doctors should be involved to avoid further sin complications.
If unsure about any method, take your time to consult a dermatologist before agreeing to a procedure.