Facial rollers are the latest trendiest skincare tools that claim to have a ton of benefits for your skin. If you spend your time on your Instagram feed or YouTube, you’ve probably seen your favorite blogger or influencer talk about them. These nifty skincare gadgets are commonly made of jade or rose quartz.
But what exactly do these facial rollers do, and the bigger question, do they actually work?
What Is A Quartz Roller?
Crystal rollers date their origins in ancient Chinese medicine as far back as the 7th century, as they used to be the practice of the elite rich. The traditional practice that uses flat jade stones is still carried out in Gua Shua treatments when the skin is gently scraped to promote regeneration and oxygenation. The facial roller practice can be considered the oldest form of anti-aging treatment.
A quart roller equipped with healing properties of the various stones can have various skin benefits. The stone tends to be a polished and rounded crystal attached to one end for use on your under-eye areas, eyes, and nose. The facial roller has dual ends with the other end for flat planes line your cheeks, forehead, and chin.
Types of Facial Rollers
Crystal facial rollers come in various forms. The two most common types are rose quartz facial rollers and jade rollers.
Also known as the Crystal of Venus, Rose Quartz is considered the ultimate beauty crystal, the goddess of love and beauty. Rose Quartz Stone is thought to purify and open the heart at all levels while promoting inner healing and delivering clear complexity. The rose quartz facial roller is an “emotional healer” that can be used to reduce and release impurities and stress in the skin. It’s best for detoxing, lifting, and softening fine lines and wrinkles, releasing negative energy. Our top derma roller helps increase circulation and tightens the appearance of pores. The Rose quartz facial roller is soothing and cooling on the skin and can help reduce fine lines.
The jade stone is considered beneficial in increasing skin growth and improving the immunity of the skin. A jade roller is ideal for addressing wrinkles and loose skin as it improves your skin’s resiliency aiding in anti-aging. The crystal is known for its calming properties, making it ideal for irritated and sensitive skin conditions. Additionally, it improves skin elasticity and encourages lymphatic drainage.
Benefits of Using Facial Rollers
When a quartz roller is placed in the freezer, the cooling effect can help fight and reduce swelling, inflammation, and puffiness. Here are other key benefits of crystal facial rollers.
- Improves blood circulation in the face: Using a face roller for facial massage can help stimulate blood flow to your face, resulting in brighter and firmer skin.
- Decreases puffiness of your face: Using a facial roller can help reduce puffiness by stimulating lymphatic drainage. This is a natural bodily function. Lymph fluid transports white blood cells and other immune system molecules to areas of distress in the body and usually causes swelling. It is possible to promote lymphatic drainage via manual lymphatic drainage techniques. For example, when you’re applying your serums and oils whilst massaging your face, you’re manually stimulating lymphatic flow.
- Cools and soothes your skin: Storing your facial roller in the refrigerator or using a naturally cold stone-like jade can cool the skin on contact. This can quickly de-puff your skin and tighten pores.
- Aid with sinuses: Some studies suggest that using a crystal roller can help clear sinuses.
- Helps in the absorption of skincare products: Crystal rollers are normally used with an oil or moisturizer to help the beauty tool glide across your skin. This process is said to help the product further absorb into your skin cells.
Do Crystal Rollers Work?
Crystal rollers claim to have various benefits for the skin. The major ones being improved skin tone and elasticity of the skin, reduction of puffiness and wrinkles; toxin elimination; and tightening pores. The gentle pressure the crystal roller applies on your face while massaging can improve your complexion by increasing blood circulation. The oxygen from increased circulation allows the skin to release toxins and calms inflammation. This leaves your skin looking brighter.
As the body ages, so do our systems and process. The body’s ability to drain excess fluid via the lymphatic system deteriorates; hence these beauty tools can help promote lymphatic flow via a lymphatic drainage massage.
Crystal rollers are also said to improve your mood. There is, however, no scientific evidence to provide that using a quartz roller can slim down the face. They are effective at reducing puffiness hence making you look slimmer.
Face rollers can contour your face temporarily. They are the best tools for draining excess fluid from lymph nodes and contouring at an angle. They can also be used to flush out toxins and for detoxifying.