The tanning lamp is an essential device for your indoor tanning procedure. This lamp is very useful and easy-to-use at-home which could bring you a perfect tanning look without waiting for a perfect weather condition. There are various tanning lamps in the market with different specifications, therefore, it is complex to choose the best tanning lamps.
Through this article, we will explain all about the information included in each product and give a detailed review on top 7 best tanning lamps.
What is a Tanning Lamp?
Tanning lamp is commonly used in a tanning bed for providing the artificial ultraviolet light in indoor tanning. There are many types of tanning lamp but mainly divided into two categories: high-pressure tanning lamps and low-pressure tanning lamps.
High-Pressure Tanning Lamp
High-pressure tanning lamps are commonly called the name high-pressure tanning bulbs. These bulbs usually are 3 to 5 inch long and powered by a ballast at from 200 to 2000 watts. The most common and safe one is with 400 watts.
Low-Pressure Tanning Lamps
Like all fluorescent lamps, low-pressure tanning lamps have a ballast to start the lamps and limit the flow of current. The plasma of excited mercury atoms inside the lamp emits ultraviolet light directly. The lamps are coated on the inside with special phosphors. Unlike high-pressure lamps, the glass that is used in low-pressure lamps filters out all UVC.
Once the plasma is fully formed, the plasma strips away the outer electrons from the mercury; when these electrons return to a lower energy level, visible and ultraviolet light is emitted. Some of the short-wave ultraviolet excites the phosphors, which then emits photons in the proper spectrum for tanning
So are High or Low-pressure Tanning Lamps Better for You?
Low-pressure tanning lamps have their own advantages and disadvantages. These lamps emit the ray which provides less energy to heat the skin cell. Besides, it helps in promoting the melanin production in the body, which will leave a long-lasting tanning skin. However, at the same time, you are at a high risk of getting a sunburn or red skin when using these bulbs at home.
High-pressure lamps instead emit rays that heat more and penetrate less in-depth immediately oxidizing the superficial melanin layer of the skin for a darker but less lasting tan.
By contrast, high-pressure lamps emit the beam which provides less energy to heat the skin cell for a tanning skin. However, using high-pressure tanning lamps will help in bringing a deep dark tanning skin after a short time.
It is hard to say which one is better, it is right to say which one is the best suitable for your skin. It depends on your skin style and how it reacted to the sunlight before. We will further discuss this problem at the end of this article.
List of 7 Best Tanning Lamps Reviews
1. Sperti Fiji Sun Home Tanning Lamp – Face and Body Sunlamp
- This tanning lamp from Fiji Brand is considered as one of the largest at-home tanning lamps which could cover the greatest part of our face and body.
- It is easy to use and fix it to the tanning bed. There are many colour for you to choose, so you could have one which can fit your tanning bed style.
- The timer equipped in this device allows you to customize the tanning time from 1 to 15 minutes which is the recommended time for a perfect tanning result.
- Beside, the adjustable support also allows you to adjust the lamp angle on your face or a particular part of your body.
- The Sperti Fiji Sun Home Tanning Lamp includes 4 high quality UV bulbs which not only fasten your tanning time but also give 1000 hours of using hours.
2. Tanning Lamps 150W Near Infrared Light Red Light Therapy Heat Lamp Set
- If you are looking for tanning lamps with multiple functions, this is the perfect choice for you. A tanning lamp and muscle therapy lamp at one.
- The infrared ray from this device goes into the skin cells and turns itself to the thermal energy which is believed to improve the blood circulation for better health.
- The function of increasing blood circulation in the body will help the user relieve pain in all parts of the body such as egs, back, knees, shoulders, elbows, lumbar muscle tension and at the same time work as a treatment for metabolic disorder.
- If you’re suffering a pain, use the tanning lamps to radiate on the painful area 5-10 minutes each day. You will obviously see the results after several weeks.
3. KobbTan Facail Tanning Sun Solarium Lamp Light 110v Face Tanner
- This is one of the best tanning lamps for facial areas.
- The UV light from this device ranges from 365 to 390 nm which work best on converting the malain into dark pigment, therefore giving you a long lasting tanning skin.
- However, this product from KobbTan have a quite short lifetime with just over 300 hours. It means if you use it frequently, it could last for 1 years and you need to change to a new one.
4. Body Red Light Therapy Devices in Deep Red
- This is the best tanning lamp for the body.
- The Body red light therapy devices deep red is designed for not only tan your skin but also give you a smooth body skin without any wrinkles.
- It includes 33 rough UV bulbs of 22 inch, so it covers the greatest part of your body and brings you better experience.
- For those people who find it hard to sleep, this tanning red light therapy could work as a treatment lamp. The infrared light will stimulate the blood circulation, reduce anxiety therefore help you sleep more deeply.
- The UV light which emits from this tanning lamp ranging from 620 to 660 nm (nanometers). This wavelength is absorbed deeply and easily into the skin cells to result in quick and effective treatment times.
5. Wolff System Tanning Bed Bulbs for Dark Tan
- Wolff System is a trustable brand name with many years of experience in producing the tanning lamp.
- This is one of the best products from Wolff System, which ensures to bring you a perfect dark tanning colour. Not only bring a tanning skin by heating the skin cell and stimulate the production of melanin, this product also enhances the bone strength by stimulating the production of vitamin D3.
- Wolff System Tanning Bed Bulbs emit higher content of UVA light, so it speeds up the tanning process, suitable for some who want to quickly own a tanning look.
- One plus point for this product is that its price is affordable then you can change it many times without taking much time considering the budget limitation.
6. M260 UVB Rayminder Lamp with 60 min
- M260 UVB Rayminder Lamp with 60 min may be a tanning lamp with the longest amount of time setting in the market. It is impressive with the number 60 minutes (compared with 15 minutes as usual).
- Mid-band UVB light ranges from 295nm to 312 nm work as natural sunlight for stimulating the production of Vitamin D and collagen.
- This product is provided with UV protective glasses (for free) to protect your eyes from being visual damaged. This is a good deal, is it?
7. Beurer IL50 Infrared Light Therapy, Heating Lamp, Red Light Heat Device
- This is a perfect compact home tanning lamp for you which is small as you could put anywhere you want. Beurer IL50 Infrared Light Therapy, Heating Lamp, Red Light Heat Device is adjustable, allowing you to bend the angle for direct heating of a specific body part.
- We are so impressed by the extra treatment area of this small size tanning lamp. It shows the best result on the area of up to 40 cm. However, to avoid getting burned, you should put it at least 30 cm from your treatment area.
- The infrared light emitted from this tanning will target your body part and open the capillaries for improving the circulation process and get rid of the toxin.
- The build-in-timer in these tanning lamps allow you to set up the timing from 1-15 minutes – a recommendation time for tanning.
How to Choose the Best Tanning Lamps
There are so many types of tanning lamps with different UV light ranges. It is known that the tanning lamps used for facial areas need to be low-power because this is a sensitive area which is easy to get hurt.
There are several factors which make tanning lamps have different power rangers. Firstly, it is the number of tanning bulbs. The more bulb a tanning lamp has, the more powerful it is. Secondly, it is the wavelength of UV light used. We will detail discuss the effectiveness of each wavelength below on each product review.
Option and Design
As the development of high technology, there are many options in the technology which is equipped in tanning lamps. Every brand has its own unique technology which helps them gain the competitive edge. However, there are two most common and important techniques that we think you should opt for. They are time setting function and automatic shutdown. Time setting function allows you to set up a fixed amount of time which helps in decreasing the risk of getting burned when you occasionally sleep when lying on a tanning bed.
There are various tanning lamps in the market which are different in the types, color, size,…It depends on your preference to choose the appearance of a tanning lamp. However, in terms of the size, we highly recommend choosing a compact product which does not take up much space in your home and you can put wherever you want.
Safety and Warranty
In terms of safety, it is important to check whether the lamp complies with CE standards or not. You can find this information by reading the specification on the product package or the professional reviews on the skin caring websites. In addition, tanning procedure can damage your eyes, impair your vision if you do not cover it with UV protective sunglasses. Remember to wear the right eye protector whenever you use the tanning bed with a tanning lamp.
About the warranty, in the treatment for a perfect dark tan skin, you have to suffer many times of tanning procedure, so we recommend to choose a product with a long time warranty (more than one years).
The tanning process is a long term process, so it is sure that you will want to purchase a long lifetime product.
The lifetime of tanning lamps vary. If you want an economic lamp which could be used for years, choose the one with lifetime range from 1000 hours to 2000 hours.
Frequently Asked Question
Do tanning lamps give you a perfect tan?
The tanning lamp is considered as an artificial indoor sun which emits ultraviolet light. So, it is possible to use a tanning lamp to have a tanning skin indoor. However, you should use the indoor tanning lotion to avoid the side effects caused by tanning in general or by indoor tanning in specific.
How can I tan faster in the tanning bed?
There are many methods to faster your tanning process including: using more tanning light bulbs, choosing a quality tanning bulb and using tanning accelerator lotion. You should be careful when fastening your tanning process because two many tanning lamps could cause redness, skin or sunburn.
When should I replace the tanning bed lamp?
Many tan users are confused about when they should change the tanning light bulb. Because not like the traditional fluorescent which we could see with human eyes, the tanning light use the UVA & UVB which are vis
According to the advice from the professor, when the UVA and UVB energy decrease 70 – 80%, it is the time for replacing the tanning bulb. But how to know when your tanning lamps energy fall reaches the number of 70%? The only way is to use a UV meter.
How do I clean the tanning bulb after a new replacement?
Dust is easily stuck on the wall of the tanning light bulb which will reduce the efficiency of this device. In order to clean the tanning lamps, follow this step:
- Step 1: Turn off the power supply of the tanning bed
- Step 2: Remove the bulb from the fixture
- Step 3: Use a glass cleaning cloths to clean the tanning light tube
In case the dust is deposited to the inner wall and the performance of your tanning lamp falls significantly, you may need to contact the seller to change another one.
Does tanning bulbs contain mercury?
Yes, the tanning lamps contain mercury just like the regular shinning tube. Therefore, if the lamps are unfortunately shattered, we should handle it carefully. And after changing the old tanning bulbs, you should throw it in the right place. The mercury from this device could damage the living things.
Are facial tanning lamps safe for your face?
Many people are concerned about this problem because the face is the most sensitive part of the body. The answer is it is totally safe and highly suggested to apply.
Using indoor tanning lamps bring the same results but are less harmful compared with directly tanning your face. There are many tanning lamps in the market including one with low pressure and low UV which will tan your skin as you wish.
Is there a standard UVA and UVB ratio for tanning lamps?
As the aim of tanning lamps manufacture is to mimic the natural sunlight, they follow a golden ratio of UVA and UVB. This is 95% UVA and 5% UVB. However, there are some products that do not follow this ratio. If the producer wants to supply a tanning lamp with quick results, they may increase the UVB percentage.
We hope that after reading this article, you can clear your mind and pick a perfect tanning lamp. Knowing that the tanning process can cause some side effects, you should be careful in using any product. In some cases, you could take a trial test. If you need any more information about skin care, please feel free to visit our website ….
Leave a Reply