Everyone wants a flawless and perfect makeup look, and it seems harder for people with oily skin type. But, it does not mean that oily skin type people can not have a perfect matte and long-lasting look. Thanks to the oil control primers, your makeup look will now swipe off by oil during the day.
These primers work as a base which reduces the amount of oil and minimizes the appearance of the large pore. However, there are many products in the market so it is complex to choose a perfect one. And if you do not want to change your primer frequently, this article about the top best drugstore primer for oily skin may help you in finding the perfect one.
- What is Oily Skin?
- Why does Oily Skin Need Primer?
- List of 10 Best Drugstore Primer for Oily Skin Reviews of 2021
- 1 L’Oreal Paris Makeup Infallible Pro Matte-Lock Longwear Mattifying Face Primer
- 2 BECCA – Ever Matte Poreless Priming Perfector
- 3 Dermalogica Skinperfect Primer SPF 30
- 4 stila One Step, Color Correcting Facial Serum
- 5 Dual-Action Face Primer by Monica Ann Beauty
- 6 Rimmel Stay Matte Mattifying Primer
- 7 Smashbox Photo Finish Oil Primer
- 8 NYX PROFESSIONAL MAKEUP Shine Killer Primer
- 9 Soap and Glory One Heck Of A Blot Instant-Perfecting Power Primer
- 10 Boots No7 Airbrush Away Primer
- How to Choose the Best Primer for Oily Skin
- How to Use a Drugstore Primer for the Best Result?
What is Oily Skin?
Everyone has their own skin type, it is determined by how much oil the skin of your face produces. There are three main skin types, which are dry, combination, and oily.
The oily skin type is the condition when your skin produces an excessive amount of money, therefore, the face appearance becomes shiny and greasy. The person with oily skin usually suffers a severe acne condition If they do not care about the skin. Besides, the pores can become clogged and enlarged.
How to know that you are oily skin type:
- Your face usually has a shiny and greasy appearance, especially in the summertime.
- The makeup can not last for a long time and easy to slide off by the sweat
- The oiliest areas of your face such as chin, cheek, and nose are easy to get pimple and acne
- The pores are visually large on your nose and forehead.
What causes oily skin?
There are many reasons which cause the condition of oily skin. These are the most common:
The oily skin is inheritable. If your family members have oily skin, you may have the same skin condition.
Skincare is good for your skin, but if you are applying the wrong skincare routine, it may harm your skin and one of its consequences is an oily skin condition.
Why does Oily Skin Need Primer?
As I said above, people with oily skin conditions usually get a short-lasting makeup cover. Therefore, it is suggested to use the primer on the face before wearing other makeup products. The primer is a panacea for oily skin which helps in reducing the greasy condition and brings a long-lasting look for makeup.
- Hydrate your skin and bring a soft, smooth look
- Reduce the appearance of the fine lines and wrinkles
- Reduce the skin pore from being clogged
- Correcting the color area on your skin
- Help in treating the acne area by correcting the red color and help the concealer work well in this area
- If you use the right primers, your makeup-look will last for a longer time (comparing with just 4 hours or less in the normal oily skin)
List of 10 Best Drugstore Primer for Oily Skin Reviews of 2021
1 L’Oreal Paris Makeup Infallible Pro Matte-Lock Longwear Mattifying Face Primer
- This primer from L’oreal with a complete hydrating technique not only locks the oil but also balances the amount of water on the skin for leaving a perfect matte makeup look.
- The universal white-to-clear priming formula used in this product works well on improving your natural look for all-day without shining.
After a long time of using this product, you can see a clear improvement in ceasing the fine line and wrinkle areas such as the area under the eyes and correcting the imperfection of your face.
- The L’oreal Paris Infallible Make-Up Primer is lightweight and easy to be absorbed, then brings a perfect base for applying any type of foundation and concealer.
- However, some customers complain about its scent and some with extremely oily skin can not see the full result.
2 BECCA – Ever Matte Poreless Priming Perfector
- BECCA Ever-Matte Poreless Priming Perfector is designed for treating the cause of oily skin and leaves a matte looking for up to twenty hours.
- The Enantia Chlorantha Bark is packed in this mattifying primer which will help in tightening the skin pore. After a few weeks of using this mattifying primer, you can have smooth and soft skin.
3 Dermalogica Skinperfect Primer SPF 30
- This product is produced by Dermalogica which is a high-end brand for skin treatment.
- Dermalogica Skinperfect Primer SPF30 is not just an oil control that purifies the oily pore for a perfect matte skin finish but also works as a sunscreen. It means you do not need to apply another sunscreen before using the primer which can make your makeup look too heavy.
- The soy protein is packed in this product for correcting the imperfection of your skin tone and controlling the sebum production, therefore leaving a flawless look.
- One other plus point is that the formula of this product does not contain artificial fragrances and parabens. So, it will not dry out your skin and suit any sensitive areas on your face.
4 stila One Step, Color Correcting Facial Serum
- This product is a perfect choice for people with oily skin type and discolouration.
- It is featured with three color-correcting pigments including mint, lavender and Kitten to balance the discolouring area on your face for a flawless look. The mint will counteract redness on the skin; the lavender will neutralize the dark circle and scar leaving by acne and the Kitten will correct the hyperpigmentation on the skin for a perfect base before applying the foundation.
- This Stila One Step Correct used the Arclay Youth Revival Bio-Mineral Complex, a blend of 15 vitamins, minerals and antioxidants which will stimulate the production of collagen, slowing down the ageing process for a healthier skin condition.
5 Dual-Action Face Primer by Monica Ann Beauty
- The product name tells us all about this product and why it is dual-action. Let’s take a look at all its functions.
- Firstly, this is an oil-control primer. It does an excellent job of hydrating the skin and removing the excessive oil on your skin without clogging the skin pores. Therefore, after applying this product, you will have a perfect base for a natural, long-lasting, and matte makeup look.
- Many beauty bloggers keep talking about the function of Vitamin C in this product. Vitamin C is an ingredient that is well-known for correcting the enliven skin, reducing the dark circle leaving by the acne break out. It is not just a short term treatment but brings a long term result.
- The formula contains hyaluronic acid which will hydrate your skin, stimulate the production of collagen to bring a youthful look to skins. It also works well on reducing the appearance of wrinkles under your eyes as a result of the aging process.
6 Rimmel Stay Matte Mattifying Primer
- The Rimmel Long Stay Primer is considered as one of the most lightweight products in the market with an impressive function in oil control.
- By soaking the excess amount of oil on the face, it prolongs the wear of makeup up to 8 hours. Furthermore, its unique formula helps in moisturizing the skin and protecting it from harmful chemicals of other makeup products.
- It is highly recommended for people with a low budget for daily use because the price for one bottle is extremely cheap in the drugstore products list.
7 Smashbox Photo Finish Oil Primer
- Smashbox Cosmetics Photo Finish Oil will promise you with a matte and long-lasting makeup look.
- This is considered one of the best primers for those who are carving for long-lasting makeup. After applying this primer, the makeup will exist on your face for up to 16 hours – an impressive time that not any competitor could do.
- In terms of ingredients included, it does not contain any SLS, SLES, parabens, formaldehyde, formaldehyde-releasing agents, phthalates, mineral oil which will dry out your skin immediately but only using the natural oil.
- This product from Smashbox brand is noticed with apricot oil included which works as an anti-ageing factor for youthful and soft skin and brings a natural scent that pleases any user.
8 NYX PROFESSIONAL MAKEUP Shine Killer Primer
- Nyx Makeup Glow Killer Professional Primer is a non-colour primer for oil control which can give you a perfect base for using any type of foundation without discolouring.
- The Vitamin E is packed in its formula helps in hydrating the skin and nourishing it for a long term result.
- Nyx focuses on the lightweight product to bring a non-shiny appearance for the user, therefore it will not solve the problem of people with super oily skin types.
9 Soap and Glory One Heck Of A Blot Instant-Perfecting Power Primer
- Is a perfect solution for minimizing the appearance of the pore and reducing the excess amount of oil on your face. Pore shirk technology is used with the aim of diminishing the condition of the large pore as a long term result.
- In addition to the main function of soaking the excess oil on the skin, this product can work as a concealer. It will correct the red and dark spots of your skin to create a perfect base for foundation.
- The presence of Vitamin E in this primer shows the effort of this brand in improving the oily condition for long term results. However, it does not show much efficiency.
10 Boots No7 Airbrush Away Primer
- This is considered as the most oil control solution for sensitive skin.The is designed to give you a matte and long-lasting makeup look.
- You can apply this product as a base before using the foundation or use it at night. The natural formula will instantly soften your skin and reduce the fine line and wrinkle.
- It is lightweight and easy to be absorbed, leaving a perfect skin look without causing any pore-clogging.
How to Choose the Best Primer for Oily Skin
There are many oil-control primers in the market that can help you control the oil on your face. However, like all cosmetic products, one product that is designed with a specific formula can show it effective on one person but does not help the other person solve their problem. Therefore, you should understand your skin condition as well as the product’s function for picking the best product.
If you have sensitive skin and face acne and pimple break out frequently, it is better to choose a product with natural ingredients. Because the artificial ingredients could make your situation worse or even damage your face.
Non-Conflicting With Your Foundation
The primer is the base for the foundation to work well on your face, therefore you should choose a product that is compatible with your common use foundation.
So, what is good compatibility? It means that the primer and foundation should have the same proportion of water and oil control for not fighting each other and causing a thick makeup look.
To test whether the primer fits the foundation, apply a little amount of primer on your hand and wait until it dries, then apply the foundation. If it blends in your hand with a light and natural makeup look, this is the one you should opt for.
Knowing Your Skin Condition
Lots of primers are multifunctional. It not only can control the oil production on your face but also can treat acne and correct your skin tone.
If you are acne-prone skin type, choose a primer with anti-acne properties like for, e.g., salicylic acid. It could help in reducing the break-out of acne and bring healthier skin.
Many primers contain antioxidant ingredients that are suitable for a person with aging skin. These ingredients will promote the production of collagen and keep the water stay on your face in order to bring a smooth and soft look to your skin.
When going to pick up a cosmetic product, you should keep in mind what ingredients are good for your skin type and condition. The product with the wrong ingredients could fight your skin and make it even worse.
Here are some notes you should take about the function of common ingredients found in primer to make a smart purchasing:
- Choose natural moisturizers
- The vitamins such as vitamin C, E in primer could nourish your skin for a healthier look
- Do not choose the product with alcohol-based because it dries out your skin
- Avoid harsh chemicals if you have sensitive skin conditioning because it makes your acne break out
How to Use a Drugstore Primer for the Best Result?
Putting the primer is as easy as eating a cake. You just need to take a suitable amount of primer and apply it with a brush or your finger.
However, if you want to extend its function in bringing a perfect matte look, following this step:
- Before using the primer, clean your face and apply toner or moisturizer to fresh your pore.
- Wait from 2 to 5 minutes for the toner totally absorbed into the skin and open the skin pore. Apply the primer with your finger. You should start to blend your primer at the center part of your face such as the cheekbone.
- After applying the primer, wait for a few minutes (it depends on how lightweight your primer is. The lightweight texture primer will take less time) then apply the foundation.
- Following with a concealer and other makeup steps.
Keeping a matte and long-lasting primer, especially in the hot weather is not easy at all. In an attempt of solving this problem, many cosmetic brands invent their own primer formula. However, each product suits each personal skin condition, make sure you pick the suitable one. We hope that our reviews about the top best drugstore primer for oily skin help you.